Almost 7 days down, 23 to go.
If you don’t know what I am talking about, take a second to read about the Button Bird 30 Day Reset. I made it though the first week with flying colors. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t hard, It was very hard. I can tell I am already feeling better and already have more energy due to the exercise, better diet, no alcohol, which all leads to better sleep. However, cutting out so many things and adding in some discipline and some good ole PMS, I must admit I was a bit cranky this past week!
This is what I have learned the past seven days.
1. I love to walk. I haven’t been doing it this summer and have missed it. Not only does it make me feel better physically, but it makes me feel better mentally. I got my 5 days of walking in this week. Two mornings I got up super early 5:45, walked and then spent 30 minutes with God. By 7:30 I had my exercise out of the way and felt peaceful after some good praying and reading. My kids came down the stairs and I was wide awake and happy. I felt good because of what I had already accomplished. Sure the walk was good for my body but what it did for my head the rest of the day was amazing. I was extra happy, extra smiley, and felt better about myself which made me a little bit more outgoing. exercise=boost in self esteem.
2. I am an absent minded eater and someone who eats when they are bored. I had no idea the amount of food I was stuffing in my mouth. Eating off my kids plates, finishing their snacks, grabbing something when I walked by the pantry, snacking all day at the pool because we all know that laying around a hole with water in it causes you to be famished, I was packing in a lot of extra calories. I do nottttttttttttt believe in diets. However watching your calories will show you just how much extra food you are taking in. There were so many times this past week that I grabbed a handful of something and almost put it in my mouth.
3. Combine lesson 1 and lesson 2 learned this week and you get lesson 3. If I am exercising for 45 minutes I am not going to eat a pile of fries. If I am sweating in this heat, I am not going to ruin it or cancel it out by eating garbage.
4. Drinking that much water makes me pee. A LOT.
5. I associate relaxing with drinking wine. Nothing wrong with drinking some wine unless it is the only way you know how to relax. I have a really hard time sitting down. I can’t stop. My neighbor joked once that they would have to nail my feet to the ground to get me to sit still. However if I have a glass of wine I will sit. So not having wine this week, every evening around dinner time I got a tad bit crabby. It was my normal glass of wine time. Again nothing wrong with drinking, but for me I want to learn to relax other ways. Another reason I gave up alcohol for 30 days is that it totally affects my sleep. If I have 2 glasses of wine, I will not have a good nights sleep. The next day will be wasted. I am sick of wasting days. One evening instead of grabbing a glass of wine, I grabbed my daughter. It was just us in the house. I grabbed her almost 10 year old body and made her sit on my lap. Before I knew it 30 minutes had gone by and we were snuggled under a blanket, laying on the couch, no t.v., no iphone totally relaxed. Best evening I have had in a while and it didn’t involve wine.
6. Exercise, eating better, spending time with God, and not drinking equals greattttttttttttttttttt sleep. The past few nights I have been sleeping like a baby. I have even been having dreamssss. I haven’t had dreams in so long but every morning I’m waking up and I remember my dreams. I don’t know what that means but I feel refreshed and full of energy in the mornings. I’m a such a morning person and love to get up before my kids to get a few things done. Aside from exercising and time with God I am also getting some extra work time in. Granted I am going to bed at like 6:00pm!!
I know this isn’t rocket science. We read this stuff over and over. However it’s amazing how quickly we forget. Starting the reset this week has reminded me of some important ways to take care of myself. Ok so now that I have completely bored you with the lessons I’ve learned this first week of the Button Bird 30 Day Reset, let me know what you think.
Are you doing the reset too?
How did the first week go?
Love to know your thoughts!